The Wallace Fish Bar, Coventry, Warwickshire






This chippy is a couple of miles out of Coventry city centre. I popped in one lunchtime when they were cooking to order. The hotbox just had the usual pies, sausages and scollops in. The shop had a lovely red and silver decor that matched the sign outside. 



I ordered mini fish, chips and mushy peas on a tray. £6.50. The person serving couldn’t comprehend the request to dollop the mushy peas on one side of the tray. I was given the choice of either “all over” or in a tub. 





After a short wait the food was served. I stepped outside and tipped the peas onto the tray.

Sadly I’d got the last of the previous batch of chips and they were cold and getting the texture of cardboard. A shame as I could tell these would be very good chips if they were fresh. They were cut long and quite flat. 

The fish was encased in a crispy golden batter. I stabbed my fork into it and it literally shattered. The batter tasted nice, I’ll say that, and the fish was decent. The mushy peas were lovely and creamy tasting. They filled a hole. 

Ratings out of 5: 

Fish: 3
Chips: 3
Shop and Service: 4
Mushy Peas: 4

Over all: 3

Comments