Matlock Bath Fish Bar, Derbyshire

 


It’s been a while since the Chip Fiends have been to Matlock Bath.

For those of you unfamiliar with this Derbyshire tourist spot, Matlock Bath’s North and South Parade is like that of a sea front and is full of fish and chip shops. Over the years we have visited many of these, but the shop I am reviewing today has always been closed on previous visits. I imagine it has new owners because the sign is new and the interior looks like it has had a makeover.




On this busy Saturday the shop was doing good business. There were fish in the hot box but they were going out fast so the food was relatively fresh.




I had a very decently priced mini fish special at £5. A mini fish on its own was £3.90 so with chips and a sauce, the special was a bargain. Service was quick and friendly. 

There’s a salt and vinegar stand opposite the counter to DIY and more condiments on the cafe tables.

I sat inside to eat and noticed handy phone charging sockets on the mural-decorated walls. 




The chips were medium cut, tasty and just between firm and soft. 




The mini fish was a haddock with skin on. It had dainty, tender flakes. The thin batter had a delicate crisp to it. The curry sauce was quite standard and on the sweet side. Must be from a mix I’ve tried many times before as I knew what it would taste like before I tried it!





My chip portion was perfectly sized for lunch. I ate every morsel.





Ratings out of 5:

Fish (mini haddock): 4

Chips: 4

Curry sauce: 3

Shop / service: 4

Over all: 4



Comments