Two Chippies of Buxton, Derbyshire: The Good, the Bad and the Inedible!


Why do some chip shops take no pride in what they serve to customers? One of The Chip Fiends had large cod, chips and mushy peas from Harpur's Plaice on the edge of Buxton. This chip shop opens at 9am to serve breakfast. Either the dry, wizened chips had been standing since then or else the night before. 




The large cod (from the hot box) had the thickest, inedible batter I'd seen in a long time; hard on the outside and claggy on the inside with the appearance of wallpaper paste. 




The mushy peas were homemade but on the way to becoming cement. 

I salvaged some of the cod but the rest of the food was binned. I was £8.10 lighter on the wallet, but thankfully so was my stomach!





Harpur's Plaice: Not worth rating!


Whilst the other Chip Fiend was in chip hell, I was in chip heaven. 






I had wandered into the town centre. Gastro-Fry was closed, sadly due to a bereavement, so I found myself in the market place at The Coach House Fish and Chips.

The place was busy with folks ordering food wrapped to take home. One man spent just under £40 on various combinations of pies, sausages and chips.

They were frying to order so I put in my request and waited. 


There was no “special” here, so everything was priced individually. The mini fish meal came to £8. Ouch. 




The dainty chips were smeared with a generous ladling of pale un-dyed mushy peas. The peas were very good indeed. The mini cod was alright too. Thick flakes coated in a light and crisp batter. There was no wastage here, I ate the lot. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 4
Mushy Peas: 5
Shop and Service: 4

Over all: 4






Comments