Lighthouse, Northampton



I entered with some trepidation, sports bars and I don’t mix. Would sports bars and fish and chips mix? I was about to find out. It was a Saturday lunchtime and I needed a little internal embrocation, something to wet the whistle. I also wanted fish and chips. 



I ordered haddock and chips with curry sauce. If you want mushy peas these cost extra, but curry sauce is included. 

The fish and chips at £15.50 seemed a tad expensive but it was to prove worth every penny. My beer was poured and I sat down. 




This venue is huge. It has more of a “craft beer” bar atmosphere about it than a restaurant, although there is a room towards the rear, away from the screens. There’s also a side entrance that leads to this area plus the counter for ordering takeaways. It’s worth noting that the whole place was spotlessly clean, a really smart looking place.




After a short wait my dinner was brought to the table. Some fish and chip restaurants skimp on the chips but this haddock was sat on a mountain of pale gold, medium cut loveliness. 




The chips were absolutely delicious and had the perfect texture. The haddock was skin side up on the plate, so I quickly took some photos then flipped it over before squeezing the lemon wedge over it. The batter was super-light and crispy and the fish was cooked to perfection. 

The curry sauce was your standard but was thick enough to cling to the chips when dipped. There’s a side salad I wouldn’t normally associate with fish and chips but it was nice and I ate it all. 

Everything tasted clean and I ate it all without feeling stuffed. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Curry Sauce: 4
Shop and service: 5

Over all: 5




Comments