Lifeboat Fish Bar, Scarborough, North Yorkshire

 


This is a chippy at the bottom of Eastborough and not far from the harbour.  There are informative signs up about provenance of the ‘field’ mushy peas and the different names given for scraps - the latter of which you will get as a bonus with your meal here.



My light bite haddock was fried to order and the proprietor was very polite and chatty as I waited.



Soon enough I had my Lifeboat box and found a seat overlooking the sea. It was seagull dodging time and unfortunately I took a direct hit - splat! Luckily my chippy tea was unscathed but it did mean I had to move away to a quieter and less hazardous seat.




The meal was great. A lovely filet of moist, skinless haddock in a light, crisp batter. It had that fresh seaside flavour that you rarely get at home. 







The chips were pale, and cut from new potatoes. Soft and tasty with a lovely fresh potato taste.





The mushy peas were going a bit stiff but I was given the option of having them in a pot rather than over the chips and to this I added a splash of vinegar.

“Oh yes they’re lovely with a bit of vinegar!” The shopkeeper agreed.




The portion was generous, and with the added scraps you know you are in for a treat.

The Lifeboat also has a cafe if you wish to eat in and avoid the perilous gulls.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (skinless haddock light bite): 5

Chips: 5

Mushy peas: 4

Shop / service: 5

Over all: 5



Comments