The Fishnet, Bulkington, Warwickshire

 

I’ve not been to Bulkington for many years. I’ve never been by bicycle before so decided to give it a go. After I crossed the A5 and passed the Fosse Way I turned onto a one track road. I thought I was heading down someone’s private driveway and was in two minds to stop and check the map. 


I eventually came to a place called Copston Magna, a village famous for its bad bends! My destination wasn’t far from here and when I pulled into Bulkington I could smell The Fishnet.






They did a mini special for £5.50. You don’t see many at that price south of Yorkshire these days. One person potted the curry sauce whilst the other scooped the chips and took the fish from the hot box. No cook to order here today.




They had some benches outside the shop so I sat down. The chips looked nicer than they were. They were cut quite thin and I expected something more delicate but these were hard and chewy. I don’t know what was wrong here. It wasn’t pleasant. The texture reminded me of some chips I had in Peterborough a few years back. 





The batter had a nice flavour but it was soft and a bit elastic. The fish inside wasn’t great. The curry sauce was very good. Thick and fruity with a vibrant amber colour. It was delicious. It made the meal more palatable, otherwise I would have been tempted to bin the lot. In the end I binned most of the chips.  

Ratings out of 5

Fish: 2
Chips: 1
Curry Sauce: 4 
Shop and Service: 3

Over all: 2




Comments