School Lane Fish Bar, Kenilworth, Warwickshire



It was a gloriously sunny day in Kenilworth and I’d already seen a park a few minutes walk away from the chippy.  This would make a perfect location for a picnic. 





The chip shop itself was on a residential street. A lovely old fashioned shop that reminded me of one I went to in Ansley on the outskirts of Nuneaton a few years ago. In short it looked like a house with the added bonus of having a chippy in the front room. 

The woman serving was overheating and asked me to open the windows for her. In return she fried me a small haddock and some fresh chips. 




Another customer entered and couldn’t decide what county she was in. She asked for a chip batch then later asked for a bread roll. 

I had, of course, asked for mine “open” but the woman serving decided to wrap them. Why do they never listen? I had to get out of the chip shop faster than greased weasel droppings and unwrap my lunch. I didn’t want the paper to ruin my perfect looking chips. 

I peeled back the paper as I walked. Thankfully little damage was done. I sat in the park to begin my feast. 




I knew what this haddock would taste like before I even ate a morsel. I’ve seen haddock like this before at Watson’s in Hugglescote and Ocean Breeze in Leicester. It had a thin smooth batter and the fish flaked off the skin. It tasted so fresh and “of the sea”. Delicious. 

The chips were very good too. Straight out the fryer, medium thick and long and seasoned to perfection. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Shop and service: 3

Over all: 4







Comments