Railway Road Chippy, Chorley, Lancashire



It wasn’t a far stroll from the town centre but I wondered how I would cross the railway line. As I approached the end of the road there was a hidden bridge with a clue of chip wrappings that I was heading in the right direction. 




Once over the bridge one passes through a small copse to a residential area of terraced houses with the chip shop on the corner. 

A classic old fashioned chippy with a Henry Nuttal fryer. The menu looked quite extensive with spam fritters and Hollands pies included. The woman frying asked what kind of batter I wanted, I chose lightly battered. The customer that followed me on also asked for lightly battered. Very good taste. 


You could get half a fish, chips and mushy peas for the bargain price of £3.10 but I went for a whole fish fillet meal for £5.00. 

There was a youth helping out. He nervously asked the woman questions on what to charge and how to serve. I had asked for plenty of salt and vinegar and he was prompted “put a bit more on, the gentleman asked for plenty.”


I went to the copse to enjoy my lunch. 
The peas looked and tasted amazing. They were very pale, without any hint of dye. 
The chips were medium cut and short. They could have been new potatoes as they were delicate and soft, although there were no signs in the shop to indicate this. 

The fish was very nice indeed, with the batter having a great crispy crunch to it, despite it being thin. 


This is proper fish and chips, how we remember them from years ago. Absolutely spot on. What a fantastic location too. If I lived on the street I’d have to try hard not to visit every day!


Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Mushy Peas: 5
Shop and service: 5

Over all: 5




Comments