Browns Fish and Chips, Chorley, Lancashire

 


Browns is a great chippy in a residential area not far from Chorley town centre. When you enter the fryer asks if you want fish - really good news if you prefer your fish freshly fried and don’t mind waiting a few minutes. This Chip Fiend ordered a Chorley fish cake, chips and mushy peas.




The staff were friendly and attentive. The owner seemed delighted I’d ordered the fish cake and intimated it was a new item on the menu that was gradually growing in popularity. The young woman serving asked how I would like my meal served and I asked for my peas at one end of the tray which was gladly obliged. The fryer placed the fish cake atop the chips, then repositioned it by a few millimetres. “Presentation” he said as he looked at me knowingly.




There is a handy yard to the right of the shop with several picnic tables. That’s where I sat to eat my lunch.



The mushy peas were very nice indeed. Homemade ones in a not-too-vibrant shade of green. They kept moist while I ate the meal, and therefore made a good dip for the chips.




If Browns wasn’t in Lancashire the Chorley fish cake would no doubt be referred to as a Yorkshire fish cake, as that is precisely what it was: two thin potato scallops with a piece of fish in the middle, fried in batter.


The batter was beautifully thin and crisp - with a delicate crunch as I cut into it. It was tasty but the piece of fish could’ve been a bit thicker.



The chips looked good quality. Hand cut and a nice pale gold. They were a tad chewy. I bet they’d have been delicious had they been really fresh.A good, satisfying lunch for £5.80.Ratings out of 5:Chorley fish cake: 4Mushy peas: 4Chips: 3Shop / service: 5

Over all: 4









Comments