Riverside Traditional Fish and Chips, Bakewell, Derbyshire

 


We last visited Bakewell in 2018 for a takeaway from the Traditional Fish and Chip Shop in Water Street.

Today we thought we would try the Peak District town’s other popular chip shop, beloved of those who like to sit and eat by the river Wye.




I joined the queue which diminished rapidly due to the fast and efficient service. My order of small cod, chips and peas (at just under a tenner) was soon ready. 






I found a bench by the river.

The mushy peas had a satisfying homemade starchy taste which confirmed their authenticity.



The chips were good, but slightly underdone. Mind you I prefer them like this than overcooked. 




The fish was superb. An excellent light, crispy, knobbly batter that fell away from some juicy fresh flakes of cod. 






After I’d finished my lunch I strolled back along the riverside to be greeted by the sound of jangly bells of some morris dancers. Could my day in Bakewell get any more British?




Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 5

Chips: 4

Mushy peas: 4

Shop / service: 4

Over all: 4



Comments