Kingfisher Fish Bar, Walcott, Norfolk

 


Walcott is a resort with a sandy beach, caravans, a chip shop and little else. It feels very remote.

One of us arrived at the Kingfisher just after opening time and there was already a queue. I placed my order and waited about ten minutes for my fish to be fried. Once ready I was asked to show my ticket for proof of ID. Presented with my food and some cutlery I walked a few paces down the prom to find a bench and look at the sea.





The food was nicely salted and portioned (not too little, not too much). The haddock had a nice crunchy batter and the fish had some good loose and chunky flakes. It left a bit of a greasy after taste though.







The chips were medium cut and some of them were quite long and had to be cut in half for eating. They were quite soft being fried from new potatoes. They tasted ok but weren’t amazing.



The mushy peas were unfortunately tinned and tasted like the metal they had been kept in. I only had one fork full. 




All in all an offering of food from two ends of the spectrum. Fresh Vs tinned.


Fish (haddock): 3

Chips: 3

Mushy peas: unrated

Shop / service: 3

Over all: 3