Chester’s, Chester



The last time we were in Chester this chippy didn’t exist. It was convenient to find in the centre on Frodsham Street.


Chester’s have a sizeable dining area so I decided to eat in to avoid Storm Malik; if I’d eaten outside my chips would have been blown into the River Dee. 


I found a triangular shaped table to sit at and after a few minutes my food arrived on a matching (almost) triangular shaped plate.   




I’d gone for the Haddock Special. I’m not sure what exactly was meant by “special” other than you got a slice of processed white bread with “butter” on it that looked and tasted suspiciously like margarine or some other fake dairy muck. I would make a chip butty out of this to make it more palatable. 

Some complimentary tartare sauce was provided in sachets. 

The chips were nice enough, short and cut medium size with a crisp outer. The haddock was skinless and filleted to a rectangle shape much like some frozen supermarket fish. The batter was delicate and had a nice light crunch to it. The mushy peas were excellent. The type that have some bite to them. They were also very tasty with a splash of vinegar. The service here was very good too from all the staff. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 3
Bread and “butter”: 1
Mushy Peas: 5
Shop and Service: 5
Over all: 4




Comments