Alrewas Fryer, Alrewas, Staffordshire

 


I’ve only been to Alrewas once before. Many years ago during a drive following an AA Guide around Staffordshire. The one thing I recall about that trip is going over a humpback bridge. 



How apt then that said bridge appears on the food cartons from the Alrewas Fryer.





The branding of this chippy is very strong indeed. Look at the lovely design that is carried through from the shop’s signage, to the menu, cardboard cartons, and the pots for sauce. If the shop were selling cloth bags I’d have come away with a souvenir. Instead I left the village with the memory of having some excellent fish and chips.




I had haddock, chips and mushy peas. (On this occasion I treated myself to a regular sized fish rather than a mini special). The haddock was fried to order and after a short wait I sat on one of the convenient picnic benches outside the shop.





The fish was excellent. It reminded me of how fish tastes when you eat it at the seaside (not by the Trent and Mersey Canal!) Perfectly steamed inside a crisp batter, it fell apart in chunky, juicy flakes.






The chips were golden and cut to a medium thickness. Served in a sensible portion size. The mushy peas were delicious. With a good balance between starchy and creamy that peas soaked on the premises should have. 




As I got to the bottom of my tray I found even more branding!

Alrewas Fryer was voted one of the top 50 takeaways in the U.K. in 2022. The owner Alex comes from a family of chippy owners and it shows.



Ratings out of 5:

Fish (haddock): 5

Chips: 4

Mushy peas: 5

Branding: 5

Shop / service: 5









Comments