Godfrey's Fish and Chips, Harpenden, Hertfordshire



Harpenden is a very pretty town north of St Alban’s. Comedian Eric Morecombe lived here and there is an arts centre in the town named after him. Bower’s Parade is a narrow row of independent shops, and it is here where Godfrey’s Fish and Chips stands.


One of the Chip Fiends enjoyed a fantastic restaurant meal upstairs. Godfrey’s serves cod, haddock and plaice. And you can have your peas three ways: garden peas, crushed minted peas or mushy peas. All restaurant meals come with homemade tartare sauce.



The restaurant is attractive with exposed brick and beams. The napkins here are made of fabric - not paper - a rare treat in a chip shop!




I had regular sized haddock with chips and mushy peas washed down with a pot of tea. The food was outstanding and the service delightful.





I was served my tea first. The food arrived shortly afterwards. All freshly fried and piping hot. My plate looked huge. I wondered if I should have ordered the ‘small’ fish. (There is also a ‘large’ on the menu - crikey!)




The chips were cut medium thickness and were delicately crisp on the outside.







The haddock was tender and encased in a delicious light golden crispy batter. The flakes of pure white fish fell apart with ease. I enjoyed eating all of this - batter, skin and all.



The mushy peas were traditionally home-soaked and tasted creamy. There was quite a generous dollop and I think it was the peas that started to make me struggle to complete the meal. I paused a few times along the way. I didn’t want any of this perfect lunch go in the bin. 




The homemade tartare sauce was exceedingly good. It’s fresh ingredients and tart zing really gave the meal some extra pizazz.


Highly recommended!

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (haddock): 5

Chips: 5

Mushy peas: 5

Homemade tartare sauce: 5

Shop / restaurant / service: 5

Over all: 5






Comments