Lee’s Fish Bar, Norwich, Norfolk



I was thankful this chip shop wasn’t too far from the main Unthank Road. They prefer their streets unlit here. Even though it was only just after 5pm it was almost pitch dark. If there was any dog mess on the pavement I wouldn’t be able to see it. I prayed my shoes would still be clean. 




The shop had just opened and I walked in to three fish in the hot box. One large, one medium and one small. I went for a medium, chips and curry sauce. 


The staff appeared to be wrapping the food although I’d asked for it open. Then I realised they had a talent for forming a tray from the paper. I watched in amazement as they did some dexterous folding and voila, there it was, a perfect compartment for keeping my chippy tea nice and hot. 






The chips here are dainty, thin cut ones. Reminiscent of other Norwich chippies like Lucy’s and Ron’s. They were seasoned to perfection and absolutely delicious. The fish had a very light batter and was juicy and flakey. It was so good I wish I’d gone for a large portion instead. The curry sauce was a bit runny but it was Chinese style, super tasty, seemingly with a white pepper kick to it. 


The whole lot was demolished and I went in search of lit streets. Norwich has some fine chip shops, that’s for sure. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Curry Sauce: 4
Shop and Service: 5
Bonus for wrapping skills: 5

Over all: 5





Comments