Harry Haddocks, Counden, Coventry





Battered sausages were very popular on the day I visited. The fryer seemed to be endlessly walking to the back room to fetch more to dip in raw batter then chuck in the fryer. 


One customer told the other member of staff how he was going to eat his; “Two sausages, both cut in half and placed between slices of buttered bread.” He also said he’d got some sweet chilli sauce to have with them. 

Someone else came in and asked “Got any roe?” They cater for all tastes here, it seems. The Wednesday special was faggots, chips and peas. 

I had medium cod, small chips and curry sauce. The cod was fried to order.   I may have misheard but I’m sure the woman that wrapped the tray said “I’ve put a little nappy on it.”





Onwards I walked in the strong winds, tightly gripping the tray so it didn’t blow away. I stood awhile in a bus shelter. 





The cod was portioned chunky, and had a light and crisp batter. Delicious. Unfortunately the chips were exactly that. They seemed to be cut from very small spuds. Most were around an inch in length! They were tasty though, particularly as they had been smothered in a very nice thick curry sauce. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 3
Curry Sauce: 4
Shop and service: 4

Over all: 4












Comments