Wudus Chippy, Horsley Woodhouse, Derbyshire

 



I remember a time when all chip shops were like this. Or maybe my mind is skewed by nostalgia. Wudus is a small chippy with a counter just a step in from the front door. The menu is a peg letter board. The front of the range is covered in Formica.


My mini fish and chips were cooked to order with some friendly chit chat. I noticed that the Bain Marie was positioned right under the section of the counter where I paid. I’d never experienced this before and was able to get a birds-eye view into the pan and it’s delicious contents.




The meal was very good. The tender fish was encased in a tasty, thin crisp batter, having a sort of oval shape to it. The pale chips were cut from new potatoes but had managed to firm up a little.



The mushy peas were the palest I had seen. Not a trace of dye to be seen!



Fabulous.



I would guess that the chippy mainly caters for locals but for travelling chip fiends there is a seat a few yards down the road by a war memorial. The shop is on the Amberline bus route from Derby.


Ratings out of 5:

Mini fish: 5
Chips: 4
Mushy peas: 4
Shop / service: 5
Over all: 4






Comments

  1. Looks great. Hard to get good Fish and Chips in London. Where I grew up on the south side of Dublin, there were about six or seven just in our area, all run by Italians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derm. Yes good London chippies seem very scarce.

      Delete

Post a Comment