Supermarket Swept



There are quite a few chippy themed food items in the supermarkets at the moment. We’ve had a few to see if they stand up to the test. We don’t think anything can replace the magic of food from a chippy but let’s see. 

Iceland: Harry Ramsdens range. 





There are quite a few things in this range including battered sausages, pies, battered pigs in blankets, and large haddock. We went for Maris Piper chips, battered fish fillets, curry sauce and mushy peas. 





I’m not a fan of oven chips but these weren’t bad. They could have done with being a bit thicker in my opinion if they were to be more like chippy chips. Having said that, I’ve never been to a Harry Ramsdens so wouldn’t know what theirs are cut like. 

The fish was very good, as were the mushy peas and curry sauce. The curry sauce was better than a lot of chip shop curry sauce, if I’m honest. 

Morrison’s Cod with Mushy
Pea Centre Fishcakes.




These weren’t that impressive. The fishcake part was nice but the mushy pea centre didn’t work for me. I love mushy peas but these didn’t have much flavour. A shame cos I was looking forward to these. 

Lidl 

(Fish) Fillet Strips



We liked these fish Fillet Strips from Lidl. Particularly the Tandoori ones that reminded us of fish pakora and masala fish. They were exceptionally tasty. 

Comments