Whatever Happened to "Open or Wrapped?" Two Tales of Bizarre Customer Service

 


Do you remember those halcyon days when you would order fish and chips and the shop assistant would ask if you wanted them "open or wrapped?" It seems in recent times that this concept has become as extinct as chips served in newspaper, as have some other basic customer service skills. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...


Part 1: Sandy Salt

Sometimes ordering fish and chips borders on the bizarre. I asked for my mini fish special ‘open’ three times here while the young lad serving put my food on some paper ready to wrap. (Fish first with chips on top I hasten to add).

He still didn’t understand so I explained I wanted “to eat them now”.  An older member of staff took over. “In a tray” she explained to him.

“I didn’t think it would be this difficult” I added.Then when I asked for a bit more salt, the youth poured it onto my chips excessively with a sour face.


It put me off my lunch. A pity because this looks like a shop with an interesting menu.Ratings out of 5:Chips: 3Fish (mini cod): 4Curry: 3Shop: 3Service: 0Over all: 3







Part 2: Weddingtons: The Hunt for a Bin in Nuneaton



I’ll keep this short. It’s not worth writing home about. The service was shoddy. I don’t think the lad serving had ever been in a fish and chip shop before. I had to repeat my order several times until I was breathless. The eyes were still blank. It wasn’t like my order was difficult. Fish and chips. Someone took over and showed him how to put chips in a tray and put salt and vinegar on.



I needn’t have bothered. The chips were so full of oil they would have kept an engine running from Weddington to John O’Groats. They were semi raw too. The batter was that appalling inedible sponge. 




I spent more time hunting for a bin to dump this whole sorry mess into. The first bin I found had no room, it was overflowing. One wonders if other customers had suffered the same predicament as I.




Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 1Chips: 1Shop and service: 1Over all: 1