Union Jack and the Yorkshire Fishcake, Chesterfield

 


“Yorkshire Fishcake Special please” I asked.

“We don’t do them.” 

A strange response considering they were listed on the menu twice: on their own or part of a special meal at £4.

Maybe “We have none today” or “We are not currently serving them” but “We don’t do them” ? Odd.

Ok, so I had a mini fish special instead. You pay an extra 10p to have your sauce in a pot which I was happy to do. I was pleased to be asked about this.




The chips were very good. Fresh, chunky and piping hot. Yum.



The mushy peas were equally of very good quality. Homemade with a nice runny sauce. Good for dipping and not stodgy.




Now then. The fish. Yorkshire fishcake wasn’t on the menu. Or rather it was but they didn’t sell them. However, this was a fish wrapped in a rather thick soggy Victoria sponge. Or so it seemed. You can tell when batter is going to be bad if it looks like a dirigible. A smooth balloon with no texture.





I knew it wouldn’t be great but when I peeled it off the fish - oh! Foamy and soggy both. The youngsters working here need to take some tips from the Drywhite Fish Frier winners to learn the ropes!



The cod within was a good chunky bit of fish but greyish rather than white.

I got the impression that this was a lovely local chippy, but with such strange service regarding the lack of the Yorkshire fishcake, and the soggy batter on the fish, I think it could up it's game a bit.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 3 / batter: 0 = 2
Shop / service: 3
Chips: 4
Peas: 4
Overall: 3







Comments