Wellington Street Fish Bar, Matlock, Derbyshire

 


Well I definitely earned these fish and chips. What a climb to get to Wellington Street Fish Bar! Bank Road that leads out of the town centre to this chippy is very steep. I felt like I needed a lie down when I got to the top.



On the corner of Wellington Street there is a building with a blue plaque on it to remember the Matlock Cable Tramway. Presumably in days of yore, the people of Matlock could be pulled up this hill instead of walking it. “Tuppence up, a penny down!”


Exhausted though I was, luckily at Wellington Street the fish is cooked to order so I was able to get my breath back before eating.




It’s a lovely little chippy. Proper old fashioned. It’s probably not been altered for a good few years. The staff are lovely too. Very friendly. We had a good chat while the food was frying. The owner kept checking the temperature of the fish by sticking a prong in it.

The menu is impressive. The shop serves cod, haddock and plaice. There is a specials board with items such as:

  • battered black pudding
  • Pea and spam fritter
  • Broccoli fritter
  • Cauliflower fritter

I tried the latter along with a mini fish special. I was expecting one fritter of cauliflower but it came in a portion of four pieces. The whole meal came to just over a fiver.

The owner put plenty of salt and vinegar on for me and I left to find a seat that looked down into the Derwent Valley.





The cod was very nice. A sensible lunchtime portion. It was pure white, piping hot and encased in a crisp, tasty batter.




The cauliflower fritter was a rare treat. I’ve never seen this for sale in a chippy before so I’m glad I tried it. The texture was just right. Cooked through but still reasonably firm. The batter was thinner on this than on the fish, which was a good point. The four pieces were actually quite filling so I couldn’t manage the whole of the last piece.





The chips weren’t the best. They looked like they had seen better days. A shame really because they had a homemade look about the way they were cut. They reminded me of the size of chip I had eaten at South View High Fry in Chester.




Wellington Street Fish Bar takes phone orders. While I was there another customer turned up to take an order they had placed earlier.



Now then... back down that hill.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (mini cod): 4
Cauliflower fritter: 4
Shop / service: 4
Chips: 2

Over all: 3





Comments