Chatsworth Fish Bar, Chesterfield, Derbyshire



Along the famous Brampton mile you’ll find this chippy sandwiched between two pubs. They were allowing in two persons only at one time. I placed my order and stood outside whilst they cooked my large haddock. 


Another customer had parked on a double yellow line outside the shop, seemingly oblivious to the danger he was creating to other drivers. He came out with his takeaway, got in and pulled out in front of another car which sounded its horn. He nearly had his chips. 


A member of staff came to the door to ask if I wanted salt and vinegar. I followed him in whilst he dished up my dinner. I crossed the road to a bench to chomp on this impressive looking haddock. 




The batter was exceptional, thin with a good crunch to it; almost a brandy snap like texture. It tasted delicious too. The haddock was a thick fillet, flaking as I broke open the batter. The chips were on the greasy side. They were cooked from new potatoes and it can be difficult to get these right. I’ll have to return another day when the season changes. 


I managed to eat all of the fish. I didn’t think I’d manage it all as it was so huge. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 3
Shop and Service: 4

Overall: 4






Comments