Ocean Fish Bar, Wellingborough, Northants


It’s been a while since we were last in Wellingborough, at the fabulous Nemo’s. We found another good one here. Ocean Fish is a tiny backstreet chippy with quite an extensive menu (cod, haddock, plaice, spam fritters, tinned roe, etc). I went for cod and chips. 


There were strict instructions to wait outside whilst they cooked. A couple were already waiting and they were called to collect their food before  crossing the road for a vertical picnic. 




I found a churchyard nearby to eat mine. I must say first impressions were impressive, it all looked good and they had put plenty of salt on. 

The chips were cut thin, almost like fries. They were crisp outside and lovely and soft inside. Delicious. 

The fillet was an odd shape, cut into a oblong, but it was nice and thick and the batter was a lovely deep gold colour. Thin and crispy and very tasty. So good. We’ve come across some poor batter in our time but this was impressive. I ate all the fish and batter. I would have finished the chips too but there were so many I ended up leaving a few. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 4
Shop and service: 5

Over all: 4




Comments