The Cod King, Lowfield, Sheffield



The sign GRIMSBY FRESH FISH caught my eye. I stepped into an empty shop. Stood around for a minute then called out “hello”. 




A man emerged from the back of the shop and took my order then chucked some chips into the oil then turned on the gas! Blooming ‘eck. This didn’t bode well. He must have had a rocket under there cos I soon heard the fat bubbling. He said “five minutes”. I knew it would be longer.

After ten minutes I stepped back inside. The food was ready. 
It was one of those bizarre specials you see in Sheffield; small fish, chips, mushy peas, rissole (that’s a processed fish cake to those not from Yorkshire) and a drink. All this for five quid. 




Here was a chap that still understood the term “open”. Plus he knew how to put plenty of salt and vinegar on. He asked me if I wanted to peas on top or separate. I asked him to put them on one side of the tray but he ignored this request and poured them on top. This was a bad idea as the peas were tinned. I had to scrape them off. I refuse to eat this muck. Tinned peas are vile. Why shops sell them is beyond me. 




The chips were nice enough, the fish was excellent. That Grimsby fresh seaside flavour was all evident. The rissole was a lump of grease. I had a bite then discarded the rest of it. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 3
Shop and service: 2
Rissole: 1
Mushy Peas: 1

Over all: 3

Comments