Kingfisher Fish Bar, Hinckley, Leicestershire



This was a lovely old shop with an extensive menu on the back wall, assembled with those letters you push into a perforated board. I wondered what ZA was until I released PIZ had at some point in the past fallen off. 





I stood outside waiting until someone had been served and had left. A voice in the darkness called out to me and asked if I wanted anything cooking. They took out a “piece of haddock” from the fridge, battered and fried it. 

Then I stepped inside the shop to collect the meal and pay. 
There’s a small green across the road so I found a spot under a tree to enjoy my lunch. 





Chips from new potatoes, soft and melt in the mouth. Haddock, flaky and full of flavour. Skinless. Very rare to find in the East Midlands. I think I prefer haddock with skin on. The batter wasn’t much to get excited about but it wasn’t unpleasant. I ate it all. The mushy peas were deliciously undyed and runny. They would have been super with splashes of vinegar in the tub. 





Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 4
Mushy Peas: 4
Shop and service: 5

Over all: 4




Comments