Island Fish Bar, Eastwood, Nottingham

 


Did I visit this chip shop on their busiest day of the year? It’s a possibility. What’s even more probable is that Island Fish Bar always do a roaring trade on a Friday evening.

I have never seen so many orders being bagged up for customers to collect and for delivery drivers to take away. The sight was phenomenal. Well done, I say.





The shop had social distancing measures in strict order. One half of the shop was divided for collections, the other half for walk-ins to place their orders then stand outside and wait. One customer was only allowed in at a time. I paid by card under the perspex screen.

My chips were ordered wrapped so that I could take them to a suitable place to sit and eat. There was a park a couple of streets away where I sat on a bench beside Cemetery Walk and watched the last of the afternoon sun dipping behind some clouds.



The chips were lovely. They had a fresh, pale golden colour and had melded together slightly, having being wrapped. There was something satisfying about eating from a paper parcel for a change.



The small haddock was good but not the highlight of the meal. I found the fish to be slightly over cooked and the batter a tad sticky inside.




However, the mushy peas were amazing. Up there with some of the best peas we have eaten. The sauce was suitably runny and therefore didn’t dry into a stodgy lump. There was evidence of the bicarbonate round the top of the portion. Proper home made and yummy!





The chips looked like the type that could do well as oven chips, and being as I couldn’t manage to eat them all during my picnic I wrapped the leftovers up and took them home.

Ratings out of 5:

Chips: 4
Fish: 3
Mushy peas: 5
Shop / service: 5

Over all: 4

Comments