The Cods Scallops, Market Harborough



A pre-Christmas visit to the Cods Scallops in Market Harborough. I think this chippy and restaurant has been open about a year but none of us Chip Fiends has made it here until now.

They’ve recently stopped frying in dripping and now use vegetable oil, so I thought I’d go and investigate. 


The entrance is set out with all your takeaway needs; wooden cutlery, salt sachets and napkins. I didn’t spot any vinegar but I’d planned ahead and brought my own bottle. 




A takeaway of cod and chips with a side of their famous battered sprouts and cranberry sauce. I found a bench to sit and picnic. Doused with vinegar and sprinkled with salt, it was time to tuck into the food. 

The cod fillet was on the thin side and a little dry. We like a chunky, succulent flake but this was absent. The batter was nice enough; light and crispy. The chips were also dry. Not sure if these were double fried chips but they were a bit on the woody side.


The sprouts were very nice, I gave them a heavy smearing of the sauce. Delicious. 

The portion of chips was huge. I ended up leaving half of them. This got me thinking, are portions too big these days? Not that I wanted to eat all these dry and twiggy chips. Something was definitely amiss here. Quite disappointing. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 3
Chips: 2
Sprouts: 4
Shop and Service: 4

Over all: 3





Comments