Zan Fish, Allenton, Derby




It was high time we visited another Zan Fish. The Chip Diaries wrote an entry on Zan Fish Village way back in 2014 and also visited the Spondon takeaway in 2016.

On this occasion Allenton beckoned. One of the Chip Fiends went for a click and collect option and timed the visit for lunchtime. The food was bagged and ready when I arrived so there was barely time to take in the ambience, but the shop had the smart and stylish Zan interior design that I have come to expect from visiting the other outlets.

The Allenton shop is perfectly situated for a picnic. There are four benches in a small square outside, as well as car-parking spaces and bike racks. Turn up, collect your meal and take a seat outside. Lots of people were doing this on the day I visited. When the benches were all taken, builders were having picnics inside their vans. A jolly time was had by all.




My order included regular haddock, small chips, and small peas. The food was served in a Zan lidded card box. The mushy peas were served in a separate pot (bonus). They had the lovely homemade taste and weren’t quite as Kryptonite-looking as the ones I’d eaten at Spondon, thankfully.



The chips were a sunny golden yellow colour. They were floppy but tasted sweet and creamy. I dug through them to find the substantial piece of haddock underneath.


The fish was great. It had great big chunky flakes. I daydreamed and imagined that the fish might have taken a different course in life: it could’ve found its way to a smokehouse and ended up being mixed into kedgeree. That would’ve been nice, but I was pleased it ended up in a box on my lap outside Allenton chip shop... and then in my tummy.




 Ratings out of 5:

Fish (haddock): 4
Chips: 4
Mushy peas: 3
Shop / service: 4

Over all: 4




Comments