The Codfather, Thurmaston


“That looks beautiful” said the man serving. Then he said it again “That looks beautiful” as he presented it to me through the hole in the protective screen. Mini cod, chips and mushy peas on a tray for £4.50. 


They’ve got a good system here; only two customers in the shop at one time plus they encourage advance orders and collection. I had stepped in and placed my order then stood outside whilst the masked man cooked my lunch. 




He called me in as he served it up and asked if I wanted salt and vinegar on the chips before he ladled the mushy peas on top. An alarm on a timer was bleeping, signalling the fish was now cooked. 

It did look good apart from the chips. Something didn’t seem quite right. Was it the sharp ends, the fact that they looked a bit too dark and too thinly cut?

The fish was superb, as were the mushy peas. The chips weren’t great. Something was definitely wrong here. Chewy and undercooked. Twiggy and without flavour. 

The cod had firm flakes and was wrapped in a thin crispy batter. The mushy peas were also excellent.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 2
Mushy Peas: 5
Shop and service: 5
Over all: 4

Comments