Alvaston Fish Bar, Derby



This chip shop keeps things relatively simple. The only fish they fry is cod in large or mini sizes. Fish cakes and scampi are also available. The shop only takes card payments for purchases over £5 and with the meal deals at such reasonable prices it was going to be difficult for this Fiend to pay with anything other than cash. A mini fish meal costs £4.25 in the evening. At lunchtimes it comes at the bargain price of £3.85 - that's for fish, chips and a sauce.

I ordered mini fish, chips and curry and waited a wee while for the fish to be fried. I was very pleased about that. It meant the food was going to be fresh.



Customers are allowed in, but only two at a time. Some neighbours walked by and called in "Hi" through the door to the staff who cheerily called back. My food was dished up. The server asked if I wanted salt and vinegar on the chips before the sauce was ladled on. (A touch we always like). A rather posh translucent plastic fork was proudly presented to me. I went out and looked for a seat.



There is a park area nearby, but the only seat I could find was inside a flying saucer that had landed on the grass. I sat in there and prayed it wouldn't take off. 



The meal was very satisfying. A good portion for £3.85 that's for sure. The fish had thin, crisp batter, and nice white flakes. 




The chips were a bit thin - probably new potatoes. But there were a good amount. 




The curry sauce was quite standard, but mixed nice and thick, and amalgamated with the vinegar to give a lovely peppery, sweet and sour flavour. 




I ate the lot.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 4
Chips: 3
Curry sauce: 4
Shop / service: 4
Value for money: 5

Over all: 4

Comments