The Friar Way, Borrowash, Derbyshire



The Chip Fiends visited Your Plaice in Borrowash in 2017. We were surprised to find out more recently that this village has another chippy. Hidden away in an estate off the main road, the chip shop would not be known to anyone passing through, but it is clearly one of those shops that makes a success of local custom.

One of the Chip Fiends pre-booked an order through a click and collect option via their online menu.The opening hours were evenings only at the time of the visit, but the order could be made earlier in the day.

Friar Way had social distancing measures in place. Only two people allowed in the shop at once. However, this looked more like a sensible one-person when I visited because half of the shop seemed to be partitioned off by a yellow cleaning sign. There was a sneeze screen at the counter and a sticker on the floor showing the customer where to stand. A few people were waiting to be served, and had spread out around the forecourt in front of the shop.

I didn't even have to enter. One of the shop assistants called out to me and I spoke from the doorway. When my meal was ready it was brought out to me in a bag. The service was very chipper and full of smiles. I went and found a place to sit and eat nearby and unwrapped my food...



 It was all very good. The cod was excellent. A lovely crisp batter. Not as thin as I usually like it, but as it was so crisp and tasty I did eat most of it. The fish was a chunky fillet with big, white flakes. Utterly mouthwatering!



The regular chip portion was plentiful. (I saved some to make oven chips). They were cut medium and came in a variety of lengths. They had the floppy consistency that wrapped chips do, but were absolutely piping hot.



Friar Way advertise a Friar Curry Sauce on their menu as a "unique curry sauce, tasty with a slight kick". I had to try this. The taste was impressive and certainly unique. It was more like the Chinese-style curry sauce, but slightly sweeter and slightly spicier than usual, as promised. It was a bit runny though. If it had been mixed thicker it would have been 5/5. I dipped my chips into it and tried to make sure none ran down my chin or clothes.




For dessert I had a pineapple fritter. This was very nice too. And guess what... I dipped some of it into my curry. My tastebuds were going into overdrive. 





Definitely a shop to try out and the click and collect service is a winner.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 5
Chips: 4
Curry sauce: 4
Pineapple fritter: 3
Shop / service: 4

Over all: 4

Comments