Charlie's Fish Bar, Thorpe Acre, Loughborough



In Thorpe Acre, Loughborough, there is an estate where the streets are named after poets. Burns, Tennyson, Browning, and Larkin for instance. Charlie's Fish Bar is in a small pedestrian precinct of shops at the end of Wordsworth Road. This Chip Fiend wandered lonely as the fluffy inside of a fried potato chip... in hopes my heart would leap up when entering this little chippy. It did.



This is a lovely little chip shop staffed by friendly people. Only two customers are allowed in at once; hand sanitiser is available for you to use; there are markers on the floor to keep the customers two metres apart; and notices asking that you don't lean on the counter or touch the sneeze screen. It is cash only, but I noted that the assistant washed her hands thoroughly with sanitiser after touching the money.



A little opening in the sneeze screen allows you to make payment

The customer before me had a regular fish that looked huge. I decided to go for the mini fish special: small haddock, chips and side, with a free cob or drink. I didn't want a cob or drink, but as I had asked for a large gherkin to go with my lunch, the assistant said I could have that included in the 'special price' instead. She also said, "Ask for the gherkin instead when you come again." How thoughtful.

The fish was cooked to order, but didn't take long. Salt and vinegar was put on for me. The tray of food was wrapped in a neat parcel and I went to look for a bench nearby. There was a perfect picnic spot on a green across the road from the precinct. (It wasn't daffodil season, unfortunately).





The food was very good. The mini haddock was cooked perfectly in a thin crisp batter. No hint of grease. 




The chips were dark golden, cut into irregular shapes, and of medium thickness. 




The mushy peas were tasty, but rather dark in colour. They could have done with less dye. However, they remained moist and were a good dip for the chips.



The gherkins in the shop came in two sizes. I was glad I went for the whopper. It was a real juicy treat. Wonderful. That meal sorted me out for the rest of the afternoon...




Ratings out of 5:

Fish (mini haddock): 4
Chips: 3
Mushy peas: 4
Gherkin: 5
Shop / service: 5

Over all: 4

Comments