Lockdown Fish and Chips


We hope you’re all adhering to the lockdown. Life is at a slower pace, it seems. We’re discovering things in the house like cobwebs we’d conveniently ignored for a few weeks plus how there’s nothing on TV worth watching and so on. 

What about fish and chips, then? A fair few chippies were taking orders for collection until this week. Now it seems less are doing that and deliveries only are being encouraged. One of us thought they’d give it a go. 

Ordering fish and chips online is something none of us have ever done before. We prefer our chips served open and eaten ASAP rather than wrapped and steamed until soggy. 

I downloaded a popular takeaway app on my phone and chose a nearby chip shop. It was a chip shop I’d been to before and knew was a good one.

Obviously theres a minimum order requirement so I had to buy more than I needed. More on that later. 

I placed the order a couple of hours in advance for a set time and paid by card to minimise the amount of contact with the driver. 

Ten minutes before delivery time the app said that the driver was on his way and a map appeared where I could follow their progress. 


He arrived a minute early and placed an insulated bag on my doorstep then walked backwards to stand the advised two metre distance away. I grabbed my parcelled food, thanked him and began to close the door as he stepped forward to take his bag. 


The chips were soft, of course but still hot. You could tell they’d only just been cooked prior to wrapping. The pineapple fritter was so hot I almost burnt my lips on it. The haddock was very good indeed; some sogginess to the batter on top but the edges were still quite crisp. 
I’d not had mushy peas from this chippy before and they were excellent.

The portion was way more than I’d usually eat but I had enough leftover chips to freeze for two meals. 

The overall experience was good. The food arrived on time and was hot. Maybe if your cravings for fish and chips become too much then you could give it a go yourself. 

Stay safe. 




Comments

  1. I have an electric hot air fryer that I pop my chips in for a couple of minutes when I get them home which crisps them up nicely as well as heating them up and letting a bit of fat drain off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - what a good idea! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete