Harborough Fish Bar, Market Harborough





To reach this chip shop from Market Harborough town centre I took a shortcut through a park and then a housing estate that stank of skunk cannabis, like many places these days. 

It was quite a bizarre experience. Some Katie Price lookalikes were in the chip shop, one seemingly still in her pyjamas and dressing gown.


There was a counter with four seats but there were children sprawled all over the table, so it was a no for eating in. It seemed more like walking into someone’s kitchen where anything goes, certainly not the atmosphere of a chip shop. The staff obviously didn’t care. 

On to the order. Small cod, chips and Chinese curry sauce. £7.00. The young man behind the counter asked where I wanted my curry sauce and I said just on one side of the chips. He then proceeded to pour the sauce all over the chips. Why he bothered asking I’ll never know. Perhaps it’s because he knew the chips weren’t up to scratch and this was to disguise the fact.




I sat outside on a broken bench. It looked like someone before me had been eating too many fish and chips. 

The curry sauce was the star of the show in this shoddy meal. The batter was more like sludge than the crispy loveliness we expect. Thankfully it came away from the fish easily to be discarded in the lid. 




Some of the chips had a texture like they were undercooked. I stuck with the thinner chips and enjoyed the curry sauce. 

Ratings out of 5:

Shop and service: 2
Chips: 3
Fish: 1
Curry Sauce: 5

Over all: 2

Comments