Penkhull Fish Bar, Penkhull, Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire



Penkhull is a leafy suburb not far from the hustle and bustle of Stoke centre. The local chip shop is perfectly situated opposite a green space with benches where you can eat your fish and chips in peace and calm. There is also a nice micro pub (Manor Court Ale House) nearby where you could wash your chips down with a beer after eating.




Penkhull Fish Bar has built a good reputation and pride themselves in frying fish to order so that it isn’t spoilt by standing for too long. The heated cabinet was reassuringly uncluttered with food on this Chip Fiend’s arrival. Potato scallops, sausages, one fish cake and a couple of pasties were the only items on display.


I ordered a fish box at £4. What a bargain. When I spotted a sign for Chinese curry sauce I asked for that. There was none ready made but the owner offered to make some up specially. What a gent!


My mini fish was fried, then waited patiently in the display cabinet for the curry sauce to finish being prepared.



The Lite-Bite box contents had salt and vinegar added for me before and after the fish was placed on the chips. The server cheerfully exclaimed “enjoy!” and I crossed the road to eat my lunch.




The chips were lovely. They had an irregular - shaped, homemade quality to them. Cut on the medium chunky side, I think they were new potatoes. They certainly had that taste to them and were pleasantly fluffy on the inside.



The fish was very good too. A nice piece of cod in thin, crispy batter. If I’d been extra hungry I would definitely have ordered a bigger one.


The Chinese curry sauce was thick and delicious. All in all this was a very good value meal for £4. Allowing DIY salt and vinegar would be a nice gesture for the customers, though. It’s like brewing a cup of tea. You always know how to do it perfectly for your own taste...

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 4
Chips: 4
Curry sauce: 4
Shop / service: 4
Over all: 4



Comments