Mother Hubbard’s, Leicester


Mother Hubbard’s opened this week. There are quite a few other restaurants in the chain but this is the first one visited by us. 


It was very busy on the lunchtime I walked in. I ordered fish, chips and curry sauce and was asked to take a seat. The staff were very polite and attentive. 

The walls are decorated with large photos of bygone Leicester, which is a nice touch. The windows have images taken from old newspapers and books but some of them seemed a little on the macabre side; I don’t particularly want to be reminded of John Lennon’s murder whilst I’m shoving fried fish in my mouth. 


Service was prompt and the food was brought over on a tray with a branded napkin and plastic cutlery. 


Some would say it’s quite expensive, my meal came to £8.40, but the portion was rather humongous. The customers next to me had the special, which was even bigger. I can’t imagine what the Super Jumbo looks like. 

The skinless haddock was very nice; flaky and tasty in our favoured thin and crispy batter. The chips were fairly chunky and quite soft, but weren’t greasy. They were very moreish but I certainly couldn’t finish the whole portion in one go. The curry sauce was your bog standard no frills stuff. Maybe I should have tried the mushy peas. 

I walked out with a doggy bag with enough leftovers for tea. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 4
Curry Sauce: 3
Shop and service: 5

Over all: 4




Comments