Four Lanes, Sheffield



It’s the first Friday in January 2019 and a return to Sheffield. 
I think we’ve foolishly made previous trips to this city in between Christmas and New Year only to discover chippy owners to be on holiday, much like everyone else. 

This Chip Fiend thought they would play it safe this time. Plus heading to an area where there is an abundance fish and chip shops should help. 


The main reason was to visit Four Lanes, a chippy that has limited opening times. I had my fingers crossed that it would be open today. Thankfully it was open. I’ve previously made the mistake of going on a Saturday when there wasn’t a match on at Hillsborough. The other days it’s open are Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. 



I went for the £3.80 special of mini fish, chips and mushy peas. 
The service here was top notch, with the staff adding and salt and vinegar to the chips before adding the peas and fish. They also asked if I wanted scraps (batter bits) before adding more salt and vinegar. 

There was a bottle of Henderson’s Relish on the counter, so I added a few splashes of this to my chips too. 

The mini fish was excellent, with a light and crisp batter and satisfying firm flakes of cod. The scraps were delicious also. 


The chips were medium thin and cut into all shapes and lengths. They were a homemade style and made a good mix with the super mushy peas. 

When you visit here, don’t be deceived by the box size. It may look small but it holds a lot of food. I had a break half way through and jumped on a tram to alight at Kelham Island, finished the food then strolled into the Kelham Island Tavern to wash the chips down. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 3
Mushy Peas: 5
Shop and service: 5
Bonus for Henderson’s Relish: 5

Over all: 4



Comments