Steve's Fish Bar, Etwall, Derbyshire



This was probably the second biggest portion of chips one of the Chip Fiends had been confronted with. The first largest was undeniably the several shovel loads from Wetmore Road Fish Bar in Burton-on-Trent, most of which was taken home and lasted for several meals as oven chips.




Steve's Fish Bar at Etwall is on the road to Burton. Maybe as Chip Fiends travel outwards from Derby towards Burton-on-Trent the portion sizes get steadily bigger. From huge to humongous...


On the Friday evening when one of the Chip Fiends called in for a chippy tea Steve's was busy. There was quite a lot of ready prepped food in the cabinet but it was disappearing fast.

I ordered fish, chips and a pot of peas. "The small fish and chips?" I was asked. "No the large please" I greedily responded. I really meant a large fish, but it turned out that large meant the chip portion size too! The smaller carton was swapped for a shallow card box and the generous portion of chips was shovelled in. I was invited to add my salt and vinegar while the pot of peas were filled, lidded and wrapped in a paper bag.



I found a spot nearby to tuck in. The piece of cod was pleasantly steamed inside some quite thick but surprisingly light batter. The cod flakes were the largest I remember eating. This fillet must have been cut from a whale.

The chips were tasty. With a good texture between crispy and soft. 




The mushy peas were excellent.  Soft peas in a creamy tasting sauce. I had to stop eating the chips before I was even half way through the portion, but made sure that every morsel of peas disappeared before they were cold. I took the remaining chips home so that they didn't go to waste.

Stopped at this point - stuffed!

Steve's advertises itself as Etwall's premier food emporium. Go and try it...

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 4
Chips: 4
Mushy peas: 5
Shop / service: 4
Over all: 4

Comments

Post a Comment