Catch 22, Bristol




This is a large chippy with a restaurant at College Green in the city. 
On this occasion this Chip Fiend decided to get a takeaway in a box. 


Service was a little confused as one member of staff took my order (regular cod, chips and mushy peas). Then wandered off whilst telling another staff what I’d ordered but omitted to say I’d also requested mushy peas. When I said I also wanted peas the staff said “a meal deal?” as though I should already know that my order was a “meal deal”. He took the money and wandered off. The original member of staff returned and served me, forgetting the mushy peas again. I didn’t bang my head on the counter in despair.

There are additional tables in the takeaway area so I sat and ate there. 


The fish was superb, skinless cod that was super fresh and cooked to perfection in a very light and crisp batter. The chips were crispy outside and soft inside but lacked flavour unless they had an abundance of salt and vinegar. The mushy peas were pale and bright and looked and tasted like tinned ones rather than homemade. 




The cod was a regular size rather than the jumbo they also serve but I thought it was big, anyway. The portion overall was large. Good VFM at less than £7.00.

Ratings out of 5

Fish: 5
Shop and service: 3
Chips: 3
Mushy Peas: 2

Over all: 3

Comments