Orford Plaice, Norwich






Orford Plaice is a new chippy in Norwich City centre. When we heard about this place we had to try it out.








The premises are very impressive. Brand spanking new and clean as a whistle with huge photos of fishing boats and fish n chips adorning the high walls either side of the counter. The interior decor theme is black and white checks - from the tiles on the wall, to the staff uniforms and the mugs of tea that are served with your meal.





One good thing about some Norwich chippies is that you can eat inside at no extra charge (the Grosvenor has this policy too). On this fiend's visit I requested my food served 'open' rather than wrapped, and was then asked to take a seat. "I'll bring the food over to you, sir".

I ordered the day's special of lemon sole and chips (£4.50) with a side order of peas (£1). The fish was fried to order I'm pleased to report.

While I waited for my lunchtime treat I had time to look at the menu. Orfords serve haddock, cod and plaice, and also roe and Yorkshire 'fritters'. One unusual but tempting side order is curried mushrooms.

There are senior citizen menus and children's menus too. The latter includes banana fritter and chips for £1.80.

Anyway, my food arrived with a smile. It was plated rather than in a polystyrene or cardboard tray and had a wedge of lemon on the side. The lemon sole was melt-in-the-mouth fresh with the batter just as I like it: thin, light and delicately crispy. The chips were a bit on the woody and thin side, but tasted good. The peas were undyed and nicely firm rather than sloppy.













I ate slowly. I wanted this experience to last. A mixture of clientele were lunching there - from workmen to young businessmen and OAPs. "This fish is lovely isn't it?" was one of the comments I overheard from a woman tucking into fried haddock.

"Did you enjoy that sir?" said the waitress as I handed back my empty plate.

Indeed I did.

Ratings out of 5:

Chips: 3
Fish (lemon sole): 5
Mushy peas: 4
Shop / service: 5
Over all: 4













Comments