St George’s Plaice, Coventry, Warwickshire


 
This chippy is about three miles out of the city centre so I decided to jump on a train to Tile Hill and take a shorter walk.

It was a lovely little square-shaped building, reminiscent of that chip shop in Braunston near Daventry one of us went to a couple of years ago.

I went on a Thursday lunchtime but the place was so busy I thought it was more like a Friday evening! 


I put in my order for the usual mini fish and chips and mushy peas then found a space to wait as the fish was cooked to order. 

I had specifically asked for my meal open on a tray but I could see the food being scooped onto paper ready to be wrapped. “Remember I asked for them open on a tray…” The glazed eyes looked blankly at the food until someone else helped them out. Maybe they were a daydreamer or someone new. 



There are a couple of picnic tables directly outside the front of the shop. I plonked myself down on one of the benches and tucked in. 



Immediately I knew these were the best fish and chips I’ve had in Coventry, so far. We’ve not been to every chippy in Coventry but we’ve been to a fair few. It would be pretty difficult for other chip shops to beat the light crisp batter and medium cut golden chips. Everything tasted fresh and clean. The mushy peas were un-dyed and tasted delicious. 


But that batter on the skinless haddock was a work of art; all tiny peaks and so light and tasty. If only all chip shops could do this. 




Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Mushy Peas: 5
Shop and Service: 4

Over all: 5




Comments