Dancing Octopus, Newcastle-Under-Lyme, Staffs

 


This octopus was dancing for joy when I tasted the mushy peas from here.


Pale, undyed and creamy. I don’t usually like them dolloped all over the chips, but when they tasted this good, I didn’t care!



Naturally, it was the name of the shop that attracted me. Plenty of buses pass through Newcastle-Under-Lyme and the Dancing Octopus is only a short walk from the bus station.

I ordered my mini fish special (£4.50) but spotted some of the other delicacies the shop sells such as battered black pudding, onion rings, and battered mushrooms. It was an awfully long time since I’d last had battered mushrooms so I ordered some of those too. These and the fish were cooked to order.



After a bit of banter with the shop’s window cleaner my food was ready. Not all of the mushrooms fit onto the tray so some were put in a little bag for me to nibble on later! What lovely service.


I perched on a wall outside to eat. The portion size was very generous so I knew I wouldn’t manage it all. The chips were fairly chunky and a nice pale gold. They tasted good but I added a bit of the salt I’d brought with me to bring the flavour out a bit more.







The mini fish was fresh and flaky. The batter was very thin and crispy.
The window cleaner walked past me and asked if I was enjoying the food. “They always taste better outdoors don’t they?” He commented. I whole heartedly agreed.




Even though the peas were divine the mushrooms were the undoubted highlight. A crisp shell encasing a very light and mouth-wateringly delicious, moist mushroom. If you are ever in Newcastle you must go and try them!!
Ratings out of 5:
Fish: 4
Chips: 4
Mushy peas: 5
Battered mushrooms: 5
Shop / service: 5
Over all: 4


Comments