Crosspool Fish Bar, Sheffield



The value for money lunchtime special that one of the Chip Fiends had at Crosspool Fish Bar, Sheffield, was reminiscent of a meal I had had at A Salt and Battered in the same city on a previous occasion. Small fish, chips, sauce and choice of either a sausage or rissole (fish cake), all for £3.50.

I plumped for the rissole and my sauce was mushy peas.



The fish was a good, small piece of cod in a nice, thin crisp batter.



The chips were on the medium chunky side and again rather good.



The peas had a lovely flavour but were quite garishly green. They also had a consistency that would have solidified quite swiftly had I not eaten them as quick as I did. The size of the pea dollop in one corner of the tray was sensible, and I was glad the peas hadn’t smothered the rest of the meal.



The rissole was exactly what you would expect. Factory stuff. Mostly potato. I suppose this combo meal is popular with diners who can’t decide whether to have a fish or sausage.



I was greeted by friendly service in the smart, clean shop. Salt and vinegar was sprinkled on the food before the peas were added. Then I put a bit more on once the food was served to me.


As I sat eating on a bench across the road I thought that I could’ve done with a tad more vinegar. Then I remembered the portable bottle of Henderson’s Relish in my bag.





I sprinkled some liberally on the chips... and ‘zing!’ it gave the meal another lift. I ate every last mouthful.

Ratings out of 5:
Fish (cod): 4
Chips: 4
Mushy peas: 3
Rissole: 2
Splash of Hendos: 5
Shop / service: 4

Over all: 4



Comments