Station Plaice, Tile Hill, Coventry, Warwickshire

 

I walked in to a workshop. A man was kneeling on the floor building a chair. He seemed to be making a very good job of it too. I thought it rude to stare so I ordered the mini special for £6.90. Service was pleasant and they were cooking to order. Even the chips were thrown in the fryer after I had paid. 



The chap serving said “I’m not sure that counts as mini” as he handed over a tray with a whale sized fish precariously balanced on top of the chips and mushy peas. 


I took a slow walk, looking for somewhere to enjoy my picnic. 

The chips were absolutely delicious. They were slightly soft and tasted of potato. That may sound a bit daft but sometimes chips are overcooked and taste nothing like spuds. These were a pale gold and there were plenty of them. 



The fish had skin on and no flavour whatsoever. If it was haddock I’ve no idea where its taste was. I wondered if it was pollack or some other substitute. The texture was rather mushy too. The batter was that smooth casing style. It tasted OK but it was rather on the thick side. 



The mushy peas were nice. Real mushy peas with some bite that were a perfect complement to the chips. I ate most of the chips but only half of the tasteless fish. 

Ratings out of 5:

Chips: 4
Fish: 2
Mushy Peas: 3
Shop and service: 4

Over all: 3



Comments