Gipsy Lane Chippery, Leicester



A few months ago someone recommended this as “the best fish and chip shop in Leicester.” They could be right. They told me about the huge fish and the huge queues on a 
Friday night. I went one Saturday afternoon, expecting to be impressed. 



The whole front of the shop was open; the concertina doors pulled apart. The chap frying called out to me to ask what I wanted because they fry to order. There were a few in front of me that had ordered fish and I saw a couple of whale sized filets being placed in the hot box to drain. I was beginning to wonder how my fish would fit on a tray. 




I needn’t have worried, the tray was pretty long. This was a big fish for a “mini”. The batter was a lovely golden colour, a thin and crispy coating for a tasty piece of haddock. The chips were spot on with hardly any hint of grease. Again, crispy outside with a nice floury inner. There was nowhere to sit and eat my lunch so I ate standing whist I admired the nearby architecture. 


Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Shop and service: 5

Over all: 5




Comments