Merchant Chippie, Glasgow

 


It doesn’t seem so long since we last had fish n chips in Glasgow, but checking our reviews it was way back in 2019 when we had a takeaway from
Marina on Pollokshaws Road and fish tea at Val D’Oro’s

This Chip Fiend fancied sitting in a cafe so headed for Merchant Chippie which I had seen before but not stopped at. This is a fine chippy that also sells wet fish. You can take away or sit in at no extra cost. Perfect. 




I ordered my haddock supper with a gherkin and cup of tea and waited while a TV played music videos by artists I had no inclination to recognise.  Lots of bicycle delivery riders kept coming into the shop all competing for the same orders. I lost count of the many times I heard “That orders been taken.”

Luckily mine only had to be delivered by in-house staff and it didn’t take long for my supper to be ready.




It was a perfectly sound meal. A thin, yellow batter covered my dainty haddock. The fish was clean and fresh, falling apart in delicately steamed flakes.







The chips were on the chunky side. They were helped with lashings of salt and vinegar. (No vinegary brown sauce on the tables here). The juicy gherkin was a very welcome addition too.






After filling my belly to a satisfactory level I walked to Drygate brewery tap to try some refreshing beer.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (haddock): 4

Chips: 4

Shop / service: 5


Over all: 4







Comments