The Market Place Fish and Chips, Ashbourne, Derbyshire

 


This long-established chip shop has been on our list of places to visit for a long time. We had been before many years ago but had not reviewed it. High time a Chip Fiend went. I hopped on the hourly Swift bus from Derby and got there just as the shop was due to open at lunchtime.

There is a cafe but as it was a sunny day I was going to eat on one of the picnic benches overlooking the market place. The takeaway counter has an ordering system with a pager. I went for the special at £7 then took a seat. I waited about ten minutes and then the pager started to vibrate... 


The meal looked very decent. Quite a big fish for a mini special - certainly not stingy. It had a light, crispy golden batter and the fish inside it was moist and flaky. 




The chips were nice and chunky too. They had that reassuring look of being hand cut on the premises.


The mushy peas were creamy and although mixed in with the chips, they didn't go dry. Salt and vinegar had been added to the chips by the server, but I was also able to add a bit more on top, so the food was seasoned to my own taste. I thought I would struggle to eat it all but no, I scoffed the lot. Delicious!



Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4

Chips: 4

Mushy peas: 4

Shop/service: 4

Over all: 4



Comments