Darley Dale Fish Bar, Derbyshire

 


After a strenuous but satisfying trek around the edge of the Peak District I thought I’d earned some fish 'n' chips for lunch. I called in at the Darley Dale chippy. I’d seen this shop from the bus a few times before but had never stopped in Derby Dale before. High time I did!


This is a very good shop. Service is good. Fish is fried to order and there are cruet baskets you can take outside if you are using the picnic tables out front of the shop.

I placed my order (a mini special with curry sauce) and waited outside at one of the tables until my meal was ready.






I was delighted when I tucked in. The portion was generous for a ‘small’ special and I felt quite stuffed after eating.

The meal had a lovely piece of fish. Plump and tender in a thin, crispy batter. 






The medium cut chips were nice but not at their best. It was coming to the end of the lunchtime shift and although a few more customers were trickling in, these chips were starting to show signs of hanging around for the punters. However, they were coated in an unctuous curry sauce which clung very well to the pieces of potato. This lifted them to another level and helped me to eat the portion.







This was a satisfying lunch at £7. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4

Chips: 3

Curry sauce: 4

Shop / service: 4

Over all: 4



Comments