Victoria Fish Bar, Newark, Nottinghamshire


 

Very average.

Service was good and although this is a cash only shop there is an ATM inside the premises that’s free to use.



There are many many specials and meal deals advertised on posters around the shop. I went for the lunchtime special of small fish and chips with ‘free large sauce’ at £5.90.The fish was fried to order and I was asked if I wanted the sauce over the food or separate. A nice touch to the service. I had mine in a separate pot.My food was wrapped and bagged which was handy as I had to walk for five minutes to find somewhere to sit.



This was the second time I’d sat by the River Trent at Newark to eat chips. Come to think of it, I had eaten by the very same river in Nottingham a while ago too.



The chips from the Victoria looked nice and chunky and the fatter ones were still slightly fluffy inside even though they’d started to wrinkle on the outer. There were black flecks on them too. Time to have a clean.


The curry was average fare. OK for adding moisture to the meal but quite a bland sauce. A small pot would have done as I didn’t eat all of it.


The fish should have been better than it was, being as it was fried to order. However, it was rather dry and there was a bigger ratio of batter to the fish than necessary.






At times like this I wonder why I didn’t just get a supermarket sandwich.Ratings out of 5:Chips: 3Fish: 2Curry sauce: 2Shop / service: 3Over all: 3





Comments