Mary Jane's: Restaurant Meal, Cromer, North Norfolk

 


Mary Janes is a chip shop the Chip Fiends have visited many times. There’s a diary entry for a takeaway back in July 2014

We had been to the restaurant before but not posted a blog. So here goes.




This Chip Fiend was shown to a table in a busy restaurant at around 6pm. Service was very swift, friendly and efficient, and it didn't take long for my meal of haddock, chips and mushy peas to arrive. Sachets of tartare sauce were provided too.




The haddock had a tasty, crisp batter. The fish inside was slightly over cooked for my liking. Rather than moist flakes, it was starting to go slightly fibrous which makes bits of fish stick between the teeth.






The chips were new potatoes but I found them to be a bit chewy as well as in small cuts.





The mushy peas were absolutely spot on. Creamy as well as a bit starchy. Served in a separate ramekin, they retained moisture and it was good to keep adding helpings to my main plate. 




I had a cup of tea with my meal. The Mary Jane insignia on the crockery was a lovely touch. It reminded me of the branded crockery at the Magpie Cafe in Whitby.




My meal cost £18.20 including the cup of tea.  

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (haddock): 4

Chips: 3

Mushy peas: 5

Shop / service: 4


Over all: 4






Comments